Passages Malibu Addiction Treatment Center (Passages Malibu) is an addiction facility in Malibu, California. Founded in 2001, the center is housed in an expansive mansion sitting on a 10-acre land overlooking the Malibu shoreline. This Passages Malibu review will look into what makes this facility attain an 80 percent success rate (an almost unheard of figure) and whether it is the right option for you or someone you love struggling with drug, alcohol or destructive behavioral addiction.
A Little Bit of History…
Passages Malibu was founded in 2001 by Chris and Pax Prentiss, a father and son team. After Pax successfully overcome his 10-year heroin, cocaine and alcohol addiction, his father, Chris, set up Passages Malibu. Through the 6-year journey to sobriety, Chris did everything he could to understand why his son opted to take drugs. It is during this recovery process that Pax discovered that his reliance on drugs was brought on by the fact that he felt he could not live up to the expectations of his father. Upon the discovery, Pax claims he was free from drug addiction. As a team, father and son then established Passages Malibu to offer the same addiction treatment to other addicted individuals.
According to the founders, Passages operates in the belief that people get addicted to drugs or alcohol due to unresolved and underlying past issues. The center provides patients several recreational facilities including a swimming pool and a tennis court. Unlike other rehab centers, Passages allows its clients to use computers and cell phones during the course of their stay. In 2009, a second facility was opened in Port Hueneme, California and is called Passages Ventura.
The Treatment Process
Passages Malibu employs both inpatient residential and medical detox models to treat:
- Drug addiction
- Alcohol addiction and
- Prescription drug addiction
At Passages Malibu, the belief is that addiction is not an incurable disease. According to founder Chris Prentiss, addiction is predominantly a result of:
- Chemical imbalance in the body
- Festering emotions from unresolved issues in the patient’s life
- Self-belief that is inconsistent with what an individual can truly achieve
- The inability to cope with current life problems
The rehab prefers to approach addiction treatment through two unique approaches:
- The non-12 step holistic treatment – The approach involves addiction treatment from all angles. Some of the myriad treatment therapies used include acupressure and massage, adventure, and equine assisted therapy. The basis of the treatment is aimed at helping an individual understand why he or she has become substance dependent.
- One-on-one addiction treatment – Instead of using group meetings as a means of therapy, Passages takes the direct option of dealing with the client on an individual level. This type of intervention is said to be much more effective. A team of therapists, led by the primary therapist and including a family therapist, life coaches and hypnotherapists, will customize your treatment so you get the best individual care possible.
At Passages, the focus is not on the symptoms you present from your addiction, rather, the focus is on the causes of addiction. The program considers all aspects of individual’s lives, opening up their awareness as to the possible real reasons why they may be struggling with addiction. At the same time, the body gets proper detoxification, re-nourishment and strengthening due to a well-rounded program.
The Experience at Passages Malibu
No Passages Malibu review would be complete without a quick preview of what awaits you or your loved ones when inside. If you are looking for luxury, this is the place to be. Despite been a drug rehab center, Passages offers luxurious service, familiarity and comfort to its patients.
At his or her disposal, a client gets a personal assistant, an entertainment unit to envy and a host of other amenities. Once admitted, the patient is assigned a 10-person team of doctors and therapists. Complete with striking furnishings and decor, Passages offers you an almost spotless environment in which you can enjoy the delicious and nutritious meals prepared by a top-shelf chef to your specifications.
The facility can accommodate a maximum of 29 patients at a go in its shared and private rooms and provides plenty of features including:
Spacious grounds that allow patients to reflect or meditate in silence
- A fully equipped gym
- Wi-Fi Internet
- Shuttle service for supervised group activities and shopping runs
- Easily accessible medical staff
- Weekly motivational video conferencing provided by Chris Prentiss
- High staff to patient ratio
- Daily maid service
The Passages Malibu review Bottom Line
Like any other drug addiction program, what you get depends on what you make of it. Even as most of the check boxes in this Passages Malibu review are ticked, no substance abuse program will work if the patient is not brutally honest and has a genuine interest to quit and forego using their substance of choice henceforward. At Passages Malibu, what you get is a safe, beautiful place to sober up and learn new ways to deal with and live out your life, allowing you to achieve maximal potential.